Electrical Upgrades in COlumbus, GA
If you’re wondering if your home or office building is electrical code compliant in Columbus, GA, you can stop wondering today. Our trained and certified electricians at Reliable Electrical Services will inspect every aspect of your wiring and service panel to make sure they’re safe and in compliance with all local and national codes. Our inspection will determine if you need electrical upgrades in Columbus, GA. We can’t imagine life without electricity, but it can be dangerous, which is why there are codes in place. All 50 states follow the National Electrical Code (NEC) that was established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
What Are National and Local Electrical Codes?
The NEC describes all the electrical codes for residential and commercial wiring. Local codes are additions to these that are determined by the local building department. Local codes may vary widely from state to state. Reliable Electrical Services is a locally owned business, and we know both the national and local codes in Columbus, GA. Some general code requirements include:
- 14-gauge wire is required for 15-amp circuits while 12-gauge wire is required for 20-amp circuits
- Circuits must not be overloaded by the addition of new connections. Residential property usually has 120-volt circuits at 15 amps, except for the utility areas and the kitchen, which have 20 amps.
- Armored or conduit cable is required for exposed lines. For areas that aren’t exposed, non-metallic cable can be used.
- Service panels need to be upgraded if a new circuit is added.
- Most cities allow plastic boxes, but some places require metal boxes.
- All appliances, light fixtures, switches, and receptacles must be safely grounded.
CONTACT US TODAY
Contact our licesned professionals today for electrical code compliance in Columbus, GA: (877) 577- 2759!
Individual rooms also have requirements. For example, pull-chain light fixtures aren’t allowed in the living room, bedroom, or dining room. Kitchen appliances such as a garbage disposal, dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, and electric stove must each be on a separate circuit and grounded. In the bathroom, where the danger of water is prevalent, all holders must be GFCI-protected, and the light fixtures must be dampness-proof. Codes can be complicated, but an electrical inspection in Columbus, GA by our experts will get you up to code. The most common code violations that can result in producing a fire are:
- Overcrowding wires
- Installing new lights with old wires
- Amateurish splicing for temporary troubleshooting
- Knob and tube wiring that doesn’t meet NEC standards
- Improper wire insulation and grounding
- Improper use of screws and nails
- Unlabeled electrical panel where circuits aren’t identified
Electrical Compliance Is an Investment in the Safety of Your Home or Business
At Reliable Electrical Services, we can handle all the necessary electrical safety requirements in Columbus, GA. If you have an older home that was wired 20 years ago or more or if you’re doing remodeling or new construction, you’ll need professional help for electrical code compliance in Columbus, GA with both local and national codes.
The wiring of 20 or more years ago was done to meet the requirements of that time. Today, the normal household power consumption has significantly increased, and electrical upgrades in Columbus, GA are recommended. Being old isn’t a requirement for upgrades of your wiring, but it’s a good place to start. An inspection by our professionals will find any issues that could turn into dangerous problems in the future.
Electrical shocks, fires, and other faults not only endanger your family or employees, but they also endanger the building. An electrical fire can start at any time. Your house or office could burn in the night when you least expect it or when you’re on vacation. Shocks may be the first sign that something is wrong.
Don’t Wait to Make Your Electricity Safe
Electrical problems happen quickly when you least expect them. This is why you shouldn’t wait. Our professional electricians can inspect your wiring and make it safe before any problem arises. Call Reliable Electrical Services at (877) 577- 2759 today to arrange an inspection of your home or office and get an estimate for making your electrical system compliant with all local and national codes.
Call (877) 577- 2759 today to learn more about code compliant electrical upgrades in Columbus, GA!